TNO Lac-Nilgaut

The Pontiac's Backyard

Welcome to TNO Lac-Nilgaut, a magnificent unorganized territory nestled in the scenic Outaouais region of Quebec: the Pontiac. 

Under the Act respecting municipal territorial organization, the council of the MRC Pontiac acts as the council of a local municipality and is governed by the Quebec Municipal Code with respect to its unorganized territory (TNO) Lac-Nilgaut. The MRC may therefore adopt by-laws, resolutions or other acts for the parts of the unorganized territory under its responsibility.

The Lac-Nilgaut TNO in the Pontiac covers an area of 8,646 km2 and has a few permanent residents. This vast territory is mainly used for forestry and recreation.

TNO Lac Nilgaut takes up more than 70% of the territory of the MRC Pontiac. It is truly the Pontiac’s backyard – shared by many residents and visitors alike.


Of the entire region, 54.2 % of the MRC’s public lands are still “free land”.  Outfitters with exclusive rights and the zecs cover 33% and the remaining is part of the La Vérendrye Wilderness Reserve – one of Québec’s largest wildlife reserves.

Access is largely via four main routes: Rapides-des-Joachims Road (located in Rapides-des-Joachims), Schyan Road (located in Sheenboro), Bois Franc Road (located in Mansfield-et-Pontefract) and Usborne Road (located in Otter-Lake).

The MRC Pontiac Council of Elected Officials serves as local council and adopt bylaws and resolutions for the TNO.

Hunting & Fishing

The magnificent 9 km-long Lac Nigault, along with the hundred or so other lakes on the territory, is home to a wide variety of fish species, appealing to even the most experienced angler. With its vast stretches of wilderness, this territory is a paradise for hunters in search of big game.

Capture The Full Night Sky

The skies of TNO Lac-Nilgaut are without any light pollution – true dark sky sites that make seeing the Milky Way and the Andromeda Galaxy easy with the naked eye. 

Whether you’re a seasoned astrophotographer or an aspiring stargazer, TNO Lac-Nilgaut beckons you to explore its enchanting beauty and unlock the limitless possibilities that await in the celestial realm. Prepare to witness nature’s cosmic masterpiece and capture breathtaking images that will leave you (and your Instagram viewers) in absolute awe.

Canoe & Camping

Under the terms of the Land Management and Sand and Gravel Management Delegation Agreement signed with the Ministry of Natural Resources in 2014, the MRC Pontiac is responsible for managing certain land rights (vacation lot leases, summary shelter leases) and management related to the stay on lands in the domain of the State under the authority of the Minister of Natural Resources, according to the terms and conditions set out therein.

Prospective campers must be aware of certain regulations and comply with them to ensure a safe and environmentally responsible camping experience on Crown Land within the MRC Pontiac’s management jurisdiction

Services for the TNO

The MRC Pontiac provides some services to those who visit TNO Lac-Nilgaut.

These services are made possible through taxation revenues and a portion of revenues derived from the management of vacation lot leases and quarries and sandpits leases.

Please contact us if you have any question regarding these services.

Planning Bylaws

All citizens and land users must comply with the planning regulations of the Lac-Nilgaut TNO. General information on TNO regulations is available from the MRC Pontiac, such as the standards to be followed when erecting a main or accessory building, as well as standards for protecting the shoreline and forest cover.

The regional land-use planning inspector’s mandate is to issue the required permits and certificates, and to ensure compliance with urban planning regulations. Some important references follow, but to avoid any inconvenience, make sure you are aware of the regulations in force before starting any work.

Building Permits

You must obtain a building permit for the construction, erection, reconstruction, enlargement, modification, alteration, repair or renovation of a building or structure.

You must also obtain a permit for the installation or modification of a discharge, collection and disposal of waste water system, and for the installation or modification of a private groundwater catchment.

Authorization Certificate

You must obtain a certificate of authorization for the demolition, displacement, or renovation of a building. You must also obtain a certificate for the following:

  • Changing how the land or a building is used;
  • Practicing a complementary use;
  • Carrying out any work on the lakeshore or riverbank, and in the littoral zone of a lake or watercourse, including tree felling and the installation of a wharf or boat shelter, except works authorized by the MDDEFP or the MRN;
  • Installing a temporary building or temporarily changing how it is used;
  • Installing a trailer on a lot or land under property title or lease;
  • Cutting trees for forestry purposes in the zones specified in the zoning bylaw.

For more information, please contact our land use inspectors:


Richard Marenger, at 819-648-5689 ext. 237, or by e-mail at


Jonathan Pagé, 819-648-5689 ext. 227, or

Waste Disposal

You can dispose of your bags of household waste and recycling at one of the following locations.  Please check with the individual municipality for recognized holidays.

Sector: Rapides-des-Joachims Road
Dump: Rapides-des-Joachims Municipal Site
Street: Moulin (Mill) Road
Open: Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon

Sector: Schyan Road
Dump: Sheenboro Municipal Site
Street: 20, Sarah Road
Open: Wednesday from 2 6 p.m. and Sunday from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Sector: Bois-Franc Road
Dump: Mansfield-et-Pontefract Municipal Site
Street: Lac-de-la-Truite Road
Open: Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Sector: Picanoc Road
Dump: Otter-Lake Municipal Site
Street: 577, Rte 301 N
Open: Monday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Waste building materials, appliances, furniture, etc. must be disposed of by a local company that currently offers this disposal service:




Tel : 819-647-3235


Tel : 819-647-2670


Assessment & Taxation

In accordance with the Act respecting municipal taxation, the MRC Pontiac has mandated the evaluation firm FQM – Évaluation foncière to prepare and update the property assessment roll for the unorganized territory (TNO). In doing so, it applies the regulations and standards adopted by the Quebec government.

What is a Property Assessment Roll?

A property assessment roll is an inventory of all real property within the municipal boundaries, and it includes the value of every property based on its actual value, i.e., its exchange value, or the price it would get in the free and open comparative market. This is the price that would most likely be paid for the sale of the property. 

It is the basic tool used to calculate the amount of municipal and school taxes. For more information on Municipal Assessment in the Province of Quebec, please visit the Ministry’s website.

Did you know that you can dispute the value of your assessment? Find out how in Understanding My Property Assessment.

3-year Assessment Roll 2015

The new three-year assessment roll submitted on October 30, 2015 shows and increase of $ 10M (79%) in the assessed value of the TNO. To offset the financial impact on ratepayers, the Pontiac Council of Elected Officials reduced the tax rate from $1.02 to $0.71 per $100 of evaluation.

Overdue Accounts

If your account is past due, contact us immediately to establish a payment agreement and avoid additional costs. Your lease renewal is conditional on the payment of property taxes.

Are You Moving?

Don’t forget to advise us of any address change either by email or in writing at the following address:

J0X 1K0

Close Search Window