Highlights of Council decisions
Regular meeting held on March 20, 2019 at 6:30 pm
The MRC Regional Council adopted the audited financial statements for 2018 of both the TNO and the MRC Pontiac by an external auditor. Following his recommendation, the MRC put into place a Disclosure of Wrongdoing mechanism on its website.
MRC Pontiac Youth Council
Jordan Larivière, President of the Youth Council, gave a verbal report of their recent meetings, stating the Council’s goals and the reason they’ve opted to meet every 2 weeks. The Youth Council will focus on mental health issues, the need for better Internet and cellular services, public transportation and public security. They will henceforth give a monthly report at the Regional Council’s public sessions.
In a show of support, the MRC Council extend the agreement with Livewell for a 6-month period with new conditions, which will be specified by the Economic Development department of the MRC Pontiac.
Major Events Fund
The MRC Regional Council contributes $5000 to the 2019 edition of the Shawville Lions Country Jamboree. The resolution stems from the Department of Economic Development’s recommendation and that the Festival meets the criteria of the Major Events Policy.
Donations and sponsorships
- The Regional Council approve a maximum a sponsorship of $500 be given to Pontiac Scholarship Fund to encourage the youth to continue post-secondary studies.
- A sponsorship of $500 is given to Groupe L’Île-du-Grand-Calumet to promote tourism, cultural and heritage attractions of the island in the newspapers, on the radio and on the existing Website and cover annual fees for its use.
- The Upper Pontiac Sports Complex is awarded a sponsorship of 500$ for the Fred Meilleur Memorial Golf Tournament that will be held on June 28th, 2019.
- The Alleyn-Et-Cawood Mud run is granted 500$ to collect funds to finance many activities in the community.
- Établissement des Adultes de la CSHBO is given 250$ to encourage those who have reached their academic goals or will have demonstrated exceptional merit.
Village core enlargement
The MRC Regional Council supports the Mayor and Municipality of Rapides-des-Joachims in their request to the Minister of Natural Resources to transfer land to the Municipality, so it can access parcels of land to attract small businesses or for current residents to expand or renovate existing properties.