Campbell’s Bay, September 4, 2020 — The MRC Pontiac to celebrate Quebec’s Culture Month with numerous free activities across the region!
The pandemic reminds us daily of the essential role of arts and culture in our society. That’s why, this year, the celebration of Quebec’s Journées de la Culture will exceptionally take place over an entire month and will have numerous free activities offered across the territory of the MRC Pontiac! Events will be held from Friday, September 25 to Sunday, October 25.
The month-long celebration is a pilot project initiated by Hydro Quebec, who approached Culture Pour Tous with the mandate to offer funding to five MRCs in the province of Quebec. The five MRCs were chosen by Hydro to offer free cultural activities to the population of their territory. It is an opportunity for all artists, cultural workers and citizens of all origins to get together and unite to participate in the great revival of the cultural milieu.
‘’In light of COVID-19, we have unfortunately not been able to host many of our usual summer activities in the Pontiac, which has been tough on many of us. These events and ideas for Culture Month represent some creative ways that we can still celebrate art and culture, which the Pontiac is full of, in a way that is both safe and fun. I encourage everyone to support all of these events and I hope to attend them myself,’’ says Jane Toller, Warden of the MRC.
The activities taking place in the MRC Pontiac are as follows:
- ArtPontiac is hosting Souk’art, an art fair to be held outside the Stone School (28 Rue Mill, Portage-du-Fort, QC J0X 2T0) in Portage-du-Fort on Saturday, Sept. 26th from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The Municipality of Campbell’s Bay is hosting a Drive-In Movie Night on Saturday, Sept. 26th starting at 7:30 p.m. near the RA (10-12 Rue Second, Campbell’s Bay, QC J0X 1K0). Popcorn will be provided free of charge, graciously donated by local municipal councillors. Billy-T’s Pizza will have a food truck on site, and The Junction are also offering a Movie-Night Promo before the show! The movie schedule is as follows:
- 7:30 p.m. – Frisson des collines, par Richard Roy (2011)
- 9:30 p.m. – Dirty Dancing, by Emile Ardolino (1987)
- The Municipality of Otter Lake is hosting a Drive-In Movie Night on Saturday, Oct. 3rd at 7:30 p.m. at the Raymond Johnston Community Centre (394 Tessier St, Otter Lake, Quebec J0X 2P0). The movie schedule is as follows:
- 7:30 p.m. – Un été sans point ni coup sûr, par Francis Leclerc (2008)
- 9:30 p.m. – Trolls World Tour, by Walt Dohrn (2020)
- The Pontiac Agricultural Society is hosting a Drive-In Movie Night on Saturday, Oct. 10th at 7:30 p.m. at the Shawville Fair Grounds (215 Rue Lang, Shawville, QC J0X 2Y0). The movie schedule is as follows:
- 7:30 p.m. – De Père en Flic, par Émile Gaudreault (2009)
- 9:30 p.m. – Feature film in English, to be announced!
- La Maison des Jeunes du Pontiac (430 rue Bristol, Shawville, QC J0X 2Y0) is hosting a performance workshop for local youth animated by Christian Ferland, circus performer and cultural educator. His program titled ‘Cirque et Plein Potentiel: Un cerveau pour aller haut’ will run from Oct. 14th to 16th.
- The Municipality of Mansfield-et-Pontefract is hosting a Drive-In Movie Night on Saturday, Oct. 17th at 7:30 p.m. at the George Bryson House (312 à 314 rue PRINCIPALE, Mansfield-et-Pontefract, Québec, J0X 1R0). The movie schedule is as follows:
- 7:30 p.m. – Gerry, par Alain Desrochers (2011)
- The Municipality of L’Isle-aux-Allumettes is hosting a Drive-In Movie Night on Satuday, Oct. 24th at 7:30 p.m. outside the Harrington Hall (64 Ch. Pembroke, L’Isle-aux-Allumettes, J0X1M0). The movie schedule is as follows:
- 7:30 p.m. – La légende de Sarila par Nancy Florence Savard (2012)
- The CISSSO will welcome songwriter Chantal Larivière to entertain the seniors living at the CHSLD Pontiac on Oct. 1 and 2nd. This event is closed to the public.